FTI Consulting has significant experience operating, managing and developing a variety of thermal generation technologies, including gas, coal and nuclear.
Thermal generation owners are exposed to significant operational, financial and market risks including capacity market design changes and continued headwinds stemming from the energy transition. Maintaining profitability and maximizing enterprise value in this market environment requires companies to make informed strategic decisions throughout the transaction life-cycle.
We provide full life-cycle consultancy services from inception to decommissioning. We have provided testimony before a range of court and arbitration jurisdictions, competition inquiries and government panels, including some of the largest energy-related disputes globally, often involving assets and valuations in the millions of dollars.
A sample of the breadth of our service offerings in the Thermal Generation space is represented by the following:
- Interim treasurer and VP of M&A for independent power producer with merchant thermal generation portfolio
- Financial advisor to secured lender of two natural gas-fired peaking generators during Chapter 11 process
- Financial advisor to sponsor of natural gas-fired combined cycle facility during term loan refinancing
- Author of independent market report advocating for the retirement of two coal-fired generators on behalf of project sponsor
- Financial advisor to a merchant independent power producer in PJM during Chapter 11 process
- Technical and financial advisor to a public authority during the privatization of the generating portfolio of a vertically integrated public utility